Since the start of operations in October 2001 more than 350 British forces personnel have lost their lives while serving in Afghanistan – another 2,000 have been injured.
Behind that bold statistic is the untold story of the grief suffered by families, the trauma suffered by colleagues and the lives that have been changed forever.
In July 2009 the mother of a soldier who died in an explosion in Afghanistan had the idea to set up a charity to provide support for those directly involved in the conflict. She found other mothers with the same feelings and Afghan Heroes was launched.
Afghan Heroes is independent of other charities. It deals specifically with members of the British forces and their families that have been affected by the military operations in Afghanistan and other current deployments both now and into the future.
Since 2009 Afghan Heroes has been delivering support through:
- The “thank the troops” initiative – where 10,000 boxes were delivered to British troops in Afghanistan on Armed Forces Day 2010, giving them some home comforts and gratitude from the public. These boxes were so well received the Ministry of Defence has now asked the charity to extend it to all deployed areas.
- Motivational and morale boosting support directly to our forces on the front line via your letters and news letters.
- Building a support network for the families of the fallen, creating an open environment where families can give support to each other.
- Providing in Weymouth, Dorset the first of a network of respite accommodation for families and soldiers suffering from trauma.
- Public appearances at events throughout the UK highlighting the work of those serving in Afghanistan and raising funds through the sale of Afghan Heroes merchandise.
- Supporting the many returning soldiers who have witnessed these horrific atrocities in the course of performing their duties.
Since 2009 there has been an overwhelming wave of support from groups and individuals raising money through a variety of initiatives for Afghan Heroes. The need continues and the charity intends to continue to provide whatever help is needed for families and our brave service personnel.
Do you want to run your own raffles and lotteries?
If you'd like to be able to run raffles or lotteries like these, no upfront or monthly fees – click here!